Monday, September 21, 2009

Douglas Kent Q&A- Part 2 of 3

RB: Let’s talk about the album for a little bit. “The Way I Am” is being released this fall and it is your debut studio album. Since this is your first album, tell us what the recording process was like for you and what you found to be the most difficult aspect.

Douglas Kent: The process was an extremely challenging experience, but was well worth the effort and was a lot of fun! We always found reasons to smile and laugh, even when we were tired and frustrated. The most difficult part was the scheduling. Everyone had really busy schedules, and it was up to me to juggle everyone’s day-to-day in order to get the record finished.

RB: After going through the process, what about this album are you most excited about?

Douglas Kent: This album has been a long time coming. It’s been several years overdue. So, I’d have to say that I’m the most excited just to have a record out that I can be proud of…and I am definitely proud of this record.

RB: What do you want people who hear this album to know about it?

Douglas Kent: The album is titled, “The Way I Am” for a reason. Not only does every track represent a facet of my personality, but it also showcases the many reasons that I love country music.

RB: I know this would be like asking someone, “Which of your children do you love most?” but what is your favorite track or tracks on “The Way I Am?”

Douglas Kent: Hmmm…you’re right. That’s a tough decision to make. I’m proud of all the songs. Really, my favorite would change depending on my mood at any particular time, and that makes me happy because that was my goal with this record. I wanted to have a wide spectrum of songs that the listener could easily apply to multiple situations and personal emotions.

RB: I love the story behind the song “Blood on the Strings” (one on the fifteen songs off the upcoming album.) Can you share that story with the readers?

Douglas Kent: My very first official billing in Austin was at a bar, more like a shack, that was tucked away amongst a slew of warehouses and industrial shops. At the time I didn’t have a guitar of my own, so my dad drove down from Dallas to watch the show and to let me borrow his guitar. Apparently, I played my little 20 year-old heart out, because, by the end of my 30 minute set, I realized that I’d cut my finger and was bleeding profusely. After the music, and the bleeding, had stopped, I packed up the guitar, handed it back to my dad, and apologized for all the blood on the strings. He paused and said, “Blood on the strings, huh? That sounds like a good idea for a song.” I agreed. A few years, and five drafts, later, the song was finished.


-----------------------------------------------------------

To hear a live version of “Blood on the Strings,” and other tracks, head over to Douglas Kent’s MySpace page, http://www.myspace.com/douglaskent, or http://www.roofbeamrecords.com/Artists.html.

Check back next week for Part 3 of our Q&A with Douglas Kent to read more about the album and what to expect when you see Douglas Kent live.

jmp

No comments: