Monday, September 14, 2009

Douglas Kent Q&A- Part 1 of 3

RB: Here he is, with his first album coming out this fall- “The Way I Am”- the man himself, Douglas Kent. Let’s get right into it. We’ll start real basic. What is it about country music that you love?

Douglas Kent: It cuts through the B.S. We’ve all got a little red-neck in us, and country music celebrates that fact. Every once in a while though, you hear a country song that will cross genres and take your breath away. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does…damn, it feels good.

RB: Some people may not know this, but you are not a typical country song writer. Unlike many country artists, you don’t write a lot of love songs, so where does the inspiration for the music come from if not love?

Douglas Kent: My inspiration comes from my life. I’m not gonna write songs filled with a bunch of B.S. Some songs are fictional…Some are autobiographical…but regardless, I’m not gonna lie about who I am, what I do, or how I feel.

RB: I am guessing that is what you look for in other musicians. Well, you and everyone else knew this question was coming, so let’s hit you with it early: who are your musical influences?

Douglas Kent: Oh, the eternal question…I’m never very good at answering this, but I’ll see what I can do. I’d definitely have to say Jason Boland, Willie Nelson, and John Prine, just to name a few. I’m sure there are more, but those are the ones that come to mind first.

RB: What is it about these guys that connect and inspire you?

Douglas Kent: They are honest. Even if the songs are fictional, the delivery is real…it makes the music honest.

RB: One more general question about you then we will discuss the album, “The Way I Am”- which comes out this fall everybody. As a hard working musician, you must need a break? What sort of things do you do to take a break from music?

Douglas Kent: I’m a simple guy. All I need is a dirty honky-tonk, a cold Lone Star, and a pretty girl. That’s all it takes to make me happy.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Check back next Monday for Part 2 of the Douglas Kent interview to read an interesting story about one of the songs off "The Way I Am" and to hear more about the upcoming album. As always, you can get more Douglas Kent at http://www.douglaskentmusic.com/ or at http://www.roofbeam records.com/.

If you have any questions you would like to ask or say to Douglas Kent, please leave a comment. We would love to hear your thoughts.

jmp

1 comment:

Peacock Alley said...

i'm curious,what exactly is the definition of a "dirty honky tonk"? :)